Tuesday, March 17, 2009

ALBUQUERQUE..SRSLY, WHO THOUGHT THAT UP?

Its been a busy few weeks with Rob and I passing like groovy and hip ships in the night.

He and Mike went rafting on the Upper Salt River, where all his mad boating skillz came back to him and the word for the week was 'fanfuckintastic'.
While he was drinking G&T's and negotiating rapids I was training it to Albuquerque with the niece and nephew to meet up with their Mum, who was there for work.
Considering I have the maternal instincts and skillz of a sock, I still managed to get us all on a 6am train without losing or accidently selling them to the gypsies.
The Amtrak train is way more comfy than I expected. The seats were big and reclinable, a windowed observation car with seats facing outwards to admire the view, a sleeping car if you splashed out and the food in the dining car was reasonable and more than edible. There were people doing the LA to Chicago 4 day haul....uggg I think that would drive me a little mad, but at least it would be a vaguely comfortable madness.

Albuquerque was a lot of fun. It was a little strange though. There was flowers, grass and trees blossoming all over the place. Flagstaff gets those things to but not till way later into spring and summer.


Lots of adobe Spanish/Mexican houses, which I love the look of, next time we build a house its going to be in that style.
And then some parts reminded me of Strathfield/Burwood/Concord, with big brick Victorian houses, which at one time would have been part of a larger estate.
We went to the Zoo, Natural History Museum, Childrens Science Museum (all walking distance from the hotel)and the Aquarium/Botanical Gardens. Laura and the kids had been to all of a few times before so they took great delight in showing me the best bits.


We got back late Sunday night and Rob got back Monday night and I left for Bullhead City Tuesday arvo for 4 days for work. I got home late Friday night and he left for CA with Laura and the kids Saturday morning. Its Spring Break so the kids are off school so they went off to the family cabin in the Sierras for a week.
Darwin and Roo went aswell and are running around with wild joyful abandon.
If I had thought about it earlier I may have been able to wrangle time off work and go to, but as it was i didn't get organised.
I love that place.


But as it is I'm happy doing my own thing, so its not really a struggle. Really its not...
The wedding anniversery St Patricks cooking class tomorrow means I'm going on a date with my Mike my Bro in law. I was planning on going to it anyway on my own cause it will be fun either way.
I asked Mike (since he is all on his lonesome too) and he was keen. Any excuse for 2 Aussies to eat corned beef and drink beer.

Hmm what else....
I watched 'Serenity' again last night....still makes me sad that the show was cancelled...damn you Fox!


Waiting till Rob and I are in the same latitude to go see 'Watchmen', tempting to just go and see it, but since I'm soooo nice I'll wait.
Joined a gym, went to kickboxing tonight....I'm the the mood to buff up.
Got up at 1am to play with the guildies in WOW, it was great fun and I need to do it more often, I miss playing with those guys, plus I got shiny new purple boots

A NPR story about my work. The shaving sound is me clipping a dog's testicles...job satisfaction...i haz it.

Leonard Cohen soon.

Life is good