Thursday, December 21, 2006

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND I'LL SAY IT IF I WANT TO


I like christmas, I always have and always will. Apart from three (i think) when I was traveling I have spent them all with my immediate family.
Growing up we would always wait till Christmas Eve to put up and decorate the tree. Always alive and involved a tromp through the bush, sometimes a pine though I mostly remember the big old Gum tree branchs. Which didn't kill the tree and had that true Aussie flavour. We had a big box of decorations and we all helped cover everything.
Santa got his milk/booze with biscuits and the reindeer got their carrots left out for them, and always they were eaten and nibbled on the next day.
The present opening was and still is a big ritual. The stockings filled with all sorts of goodies kept us amused for ages.
Everyone has to be up, breakfasted and dressed. The parents always had to just go get another cup of coffee before we could begin. The three daughters took turns in choosing one present, passing it on which was read out to and from, then on to the 3rd to give it over. Then we all watched as it was opened and ohhed and ahhed over. It took forever and everyone got to see it all.
We do the same with Hal and Snowpea now and they seem very happy with the arrangement.

Religion never played any part in it....(not that I remember, nothing overt at least)

There was a article in the NY Times ' An Atheist Can Believe In Christmas'
like is was a surprise or something, we are not Bah Humbuging around but enjoying what it means to us.
Some people hate Christmas, which is fine and understandable but I doubt they are all goddless heathens.
Various folk have written about it, two of my favourite-
Pandagon and Pharyngula

As Richaed Dawkins put it
So divorced has Christmas become from religion that I find no necessity to bother with euphemisms such as happy holiday season. In the same way as many of my friends call themselves Jewish atheists, I acknowledge that I come from Christian cultural roots. I am a post-Christian atheist. So, understanding full well that the phrase retains zero religious significance, I unhesitatingly wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

So from this happy, christmas loving, goddless chick to you all
MERRY CHRISTMAS


don't