Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Plug of Two

Listening to JJJ over the last year or so they would sometimes play nasaly, upbeat, folky songs though the more you listened to the lyrics they seemed a tad darker then you first thought.
I finally found out they were called The Mountain Goats, mainly one man John Darnielle, his lo-fi recordings and very personal stories.
If i could channel Amanda, I could better explain why I really like this stuff, but sadly the best I can do is say 'its honest, raw and damn it I just like it k!' There are many reviews if you want something more than 'good stuff'
I only have two albums but have a couple on back order.
'We Shall Be Healed' and the one I am listening to now 'The Sunset Tree' which is all about growing up with his abusive stepfather which is disturbing once you listen to the story behind it all, but its not obvious at first till you actually listen to what he is saying.
Dedicated to-
'Made possible by my stepfather, Mike Noonan (1940-2004): may the peace which eluded you in life be yours now.'

"I'm in the living room watching the watergate hearings
while my step father yells at my mother.
launches a glass across the room, straight at her head
and I dash upstairs to take cover.
lean in close to my little record player on the floor.
so this is what the volume knobs for.

I listen to dance music.
dance music."

Dance Music
"you are sleeping off your demons
when I come home.
spittle bubbling on your lips,
fine white foam

I am young and I am good.
it's a hot southern california day.
if I wake you up, there will be hell to pay."

Hast Thou Considered the Tetrapod


The second plug is for Missing Link Records,
a music shop and mail order place in Melbourne. I was trying to find
more 'The Mountain Goats', as i had little success from stores around
here Rob recommended them so i ordered three albums. One turned up
yesterday with a hand written note saying the others will be along
shortly and to enjoy. They seem fast, efficient, friendly and the
postage is $1.50/CD, not like the times i've tried to use Chaos in the
past.