Saturday, September 30, 2006

It's fun being an legal alien, I tell ya
It's fun being an legal alien, yes yes yes yes yes
It's fun being an legal alien, I mean it when I tell ya that
It's fun being an legal alien,
An legal alien, O.K.


Consideration for your fellow man
Would not hurt anybody, it sure fits in with my plan
Over the border, there lies the promised land
Where everything comes easy, you just hold out your hand

Apologies to Genesis

I have been judged and found worthy in the eyes of the Uncle Sam. Scary huh!
I had my VISA interview on Wednesday at the unnatural hour of 8am in the city, and all was straight forward. The Consulate is on the 59th Floor but cannot be reached from the lobby, first you must got to the 10th get checked out and wait for the special elevator to take you to the promised land. There was about 40 other people there, most of which were there for different kinds of VISA's so I was about 4th in queque.
Once you get to the 59th floor another security check, no camera phones allowed but old skool ones are ok aslong as they are turned off. Once I took a drink from my water bottle I was allowed to procede and take a ticket.
Just a normal looking waiting room with booths, the walls were covered with large blow ups from the front page newspapers from around the world on Sept 11 2001, which is less than comforting than a peaceful waterfall and some kittens. This what you are getting yourself in for they seemed to say....still time to run.
Had my documents checked over, sat down, checked over again, paid $494, quick chat with final decision making man. He was very nice, asked why, how and who. I had to raise my right hand (didn't raise my left by following him, but it was a close thing...probably part of the test) and swear that all the information I gave them was correct. Never had to swear like that before. Wasn't sure the best response was, think I said "I do".
Lucky polygamy isn't frowned upon in some sections of the American community.
He said "Looks all good. Congratulations. Do you want to pick up your passport or shall we send it to you?"
That was it.
8-10am and most of that was reading my book.
Went and met Mum in Pitt Street Mall.
The End.

don't